Hi all! I hope you have a wonderful 4 day weekend. Please be sure to use part of this time to complete any missing or outstanding work. Friday June 9th is the last day I'll accept late assignments, meaning you have just a little more than 2 weeks left!
- I can explain the impacts of nationalism and revolutionary movements.
- I can identify specific ideas and actions youth are taking today to demand social change.
- RAP: We started class by reviewing the themes of revolution discussed on Tuesday and discussing "what is activism?" Students then reviewed the following images, noting what they saw, feel, or wonder using sticky notes. I asked students to analyze the photos to try to identify why youth are taking action to demand social change in society today.
- Main Stage: Students then conducted a mixer to learn more about youth activism for social change in the world today. Students first read their assigned role, took notes, and then met with other students around the room. Afterword they completed the "mixer questionnaire" to help them distill their learning.
- Closing: To end class, students finished their questionnaire and then we discussed as a class, "what issues motivate youth and people to demand action today?" Students also completed an exit ticket (click here) answering the same question. We'll return to these next week as students begin to learn more about the Student Nonviolence Coordinating Committee.