Hi everyone! Monday, June 12th is the last day I'll take late or missing work. Be sure to complete your work ASAP. Questions? Not a problem! Just seee me, email me, or text me with all your good questions.
- I can explain the impacts of nationalism and revolutionary movements.
- I can use evidence from text to describe goals of Chican@ Blowouts
- RAP: To start class, students reflected on their learning about the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee by discussing the following question: "What motivates young people to take action?" As a circle, we discussed the question. I used this conversation to connect us to our next topic, the Chican@ Blowouts and the rise of the Mexican-American youth movement, MEChA. We also discussed the Forest Grove student walkouts last year in make this topic local and immediate.
- Main Stage: Students then read "El Plan de Aztlan." We discussed the similarities between the article and what we learned about SNCC, and then watched this Democracy Now! news clip to deepen our understanding. After the video and discussion, we then read "Young Chicano Revolutionaries."
- Closing: To end class, students reviewed their readings and notes and created a Found Poem to summarize their learning about the Chican@ Blowouts for the day. Students took 10 important words they uncovered and compiled them into an exit ticket.