Hello again new economics family! Glad to see you again today; I hope your long weekend gave you a chance to rest and catch up with our new semester. AS you settle into our new semester, please remember to become familiar with Canvas. We'll be using Canvas throughout the semester to turn-in work (click here to access).
- I can manage my responsibilities as a student.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of various economic systems.
- I can define economics in my own words and identify specific examples of how economics impacts my life.
- RAP: To open class I asked students to make some predictions about economics and draw on their own background experience and knowledge. Students first viewed a series of images related to economics, and then wrote their own description of what they thought economics is. Next they shared their responses with one another.
- Main Stage: To better understand the definition of economics, students took Cornell notes to define the following terms: Economy, Economics, and Capitalism. They also used their notes to summarize their understanding of economics before and after a whole-class jigsaw. Students formed seven groups and considered specific parts of the whole definition. Notes for what we worked on in class can be found by clicking here.
- Closing: To end class, students summarized their Cornell notes and defined economics in their own terms. Great job today! I know, a lot of new thinking and information but this work is will be important for us to do before moving ahead!