Second to last Monday of the school year! Great seeing you today. Remember that today is the last day I will take any late or missing assignments. Be sure to come see me if you have questions about your grade or any work that you are finishing.
- I can explain the impacts of nationalism and revolutionary movements.
- I can explain how the Chican@ Blowouts were revolutionary.
- RAP: We began class today by revisiting our Chican@ Blowout Found Poems from last Thursday's class. Students were asked to use their notes to compile a Found Poem, a creative way to process and review learning. Students read their poems aloud, and then we discussed major points about the Chican@ movement.
- Main Stage: To deepen our understanding of the Chican@ Blowouts, students watched Part 4 "Taking Back Our Schools" from the documentary Chicano! A History of the Mexican-American Civil Rights. Students recorded notes using a graphic organizer, and we stopped the documentary multiple times to discuss and reflect.
- Closing: Students then wrapped up their learning for the day of the Chican@ Blowouts by writing a paragraph that explains how the Blowouts were revolutionary. We discussed this question first, referring to evidence and examples from our notes and readings, before students then began working on their writing. The assignment is posted on Canvas, and is due by Wednesday.