- I can communicate and work effectively within a team or group.
- I can demonstrate an understanding of the role of the U.S. government in the U.S. economy.
- I can examine the different types of taxes to used by the U.S. government to generate revenue.
- RAP: Why do we pay taxes? To open class, students brainstormed a list of government goods and services that impact their lives. We discussed the various programs and their importance to our lives. So how do we pay for them? By beginning our discussion about taxes about the core programs government pays for, we are able to better understand why governments need taxes.
- Main Stage: Before discussing the merits and impacts of taxes on the broader economy, we need to first become familiar with the main types of taxes the government charges. Students worked in groups to review these tax scenarios and complete this graphic organizer. These scenarios give students a chance to learn deeply about the different types of taxes through real-world examples.
- Closing: Students finished class by working on their group government influence projects. Students will present their government agency and review its impact on federal spending and the regulations it enforces next Tuesday. Students should also be sure to complete their Making Sense of Economic #2 assignment, selecting a news article related to their government agency. This is due ASAP.